Changing a child's name

When can a child's name be changed?

A child's name can be changed provided everyone with parental responsibility for the child consents to the change. To determine if you have parental responsibility check out our Parental Responsibility webpage by clicking here. The name can be changed by everyone with parental responsibility executing a Change of Name Deed (Deed Poll).

Changing a child's name where the mother has sole parental responsibility.

If the Mother has sole parental responsibility, the Mother lone can change the child's name by completing a Change of Name deed without the Father's consent. If the Father objects, he can apply for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent the child being called by the new name and a Specific Issue Order for the court to determine whether the name should be changed. The Father is also likely too apply for a Parental Responsibility Order.

Changing a child's name where both parents have parental responsibility.

If both parents have parental responsibility and one parent wants to change the child's name but the other parent objects, either parent may apply for a Specific Issues Order for the court to determine the issue and a Prohibit Steps Order to prevent the name being changed until the court has made a decision.

How we can help?

  • If you wish to change your child's name and everyone with Parental Responsibility consents to the change, we can draw up the Change of Name Deed for you. We charge £50 + VAT (£10). This includes any associated advice and 5 certified copies of the Change of Name Deed. If you would like to apply for a Child's Change of Name Deed, please click here to complete our enquiry form.
  • If you wish to change your child's name or object to a proposed name change, we can advise you about your prospects of success in making or defending the application through the courts. As a general rule we would recommend that before making any court application you try and reach an agreement through negotiations, mediation or collaborative law. If however it is not possible to reach an agreement, we can assist you in bringing or defending an application for a Specific Issue Order for the court to determine the name change, and a Prohibited Steps Order if the name has already been changed without your consent.

Need further advice?

f you need more detailed advice about changing a child's name or preventing a proposed change, call us on (01228) 829530 to arrange an initial consultation or request a free call back.